Thursday, February 21, 2013

Rachel on The Peace Wall

Rachel is one of our Peer Ministers and a student at the University of Illinois and is studying abroad in Ireland this semester. Today she shares about her recent visit to the Belfast Peace Wall.

Mural in Derry- dove represents peace, the oak leaf represents Derry, and the many colored squares represents equality of all people 

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to travel to Northern Ireland and got to visit Derry and Belfast. The history and stories of these places are heavy with political and religious conflict. While I was learning about different events, many which occurred in to not too distant past, I was slightly shocked. I found myself thinking about Teen Service Week and connecting many of the activities we have done over the years to what I was seeing.

View of the wall top to bottom

Seeing the murals in both Derry and Belfast and the Peace Wall was an amazing testament to the local communities and their beliefs. Everyone deserves basic human rights and hearing some of the stories of the local people brought to mind many of the stories I have heard at the 8th Day Center for Justice over the years.  I love being able to connect the ideas and experiences I have had through Teen Service Week to my current life abroad! It reminds me that we are all one beloved community and that we need to treat everyone with that principal in mind.  


One of my contributions to the Peace Wall 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.