This past year was my first time doing Teen Service Week and I think it is safe to say for me that it was the most enjoyable thing in my life so far. Everybody that participates in the week are the nicest and most friendliest people I have personally ever met. Going on the week I was worried that I would not really make any friends considering I was from Miami. I was absolutely wrong for thinking that. Everyone there was so generous and open. One friend has become to be what I consider a best friend even though we are 2000 miles away.
I was in level 1 and my work site was at A Safe Haven. They help people get back on track in life by providing them reduced cost housing, food, and classes for life skills like job interviews. At A Safe Haven, we helped reorganize the food pantry the first couple days. We were then able to help pass out the food which was such a pleasure because seeing all the people's faces light up when they received food was absolutely amazing. We then also helped put a bookcase together for a class that would be able to choose from. After that my group and I put together a little care package with some essentials like a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo, and soap. I honestly felt very happy helping these people because honestly sometimes another person needs help from one another.
Over the week, we used the idea of simple living. It sounds hard for some people but it really is not. It was nice to be able to be detached from everything else around you for a week and just focus on helping others and participating with others who also wanted to do the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.